Date:      Sun, 27 Feb 2005 18:00:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      Rob <spamrefuse@yahoo.com>
To:        mgrant@grant.org
Cc:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Change MAC address of LAN card in rc.conf. How?

--- Michael Grant <michael.grant@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just curious, why would you ever need to change your
> mac address?

In my university network, IP numbers must match a
previously registered MAC address, otherwise the IP
number is blocked. So our group has a list of IP
numbers, that each only work with a specific MAC
address.

When shifting around computers and IP addresses, it
is easier to fake the MAC address to what I need,
than to start a procedure with the computer center
to change the MAC address of a certain IP number.

I manage to do this easily on my FreeBSD PCs.

However, my colleagues are suprised and ask me how
to do this on their MS-Windows systems.....

Rob.