Date:      Thu, 15 May 1997 08:41:04 +0300 (IDT)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@cs.technion.ac.il>
To:        "Charles A. Peters" <charlespeters@tecpro.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.1.5 August 1996 - Server Installation

This posting belongs in -questions (CC changed).

On Wed, 14 May 1997, Charles A. Peters wrote:

> I will be setting up a web / ftp / mail server, and I am planning to
> use FreeBSD 2.1.5.  I am wondering how stable this version is and if
> there are any special problems that I may encounter.

2.1.5 had some security holes. For a server you put on the Internet, 2.1.7
should be far more secure. On the other hand, 2.1.7 had some problems with
the ahc (adaptec 2940) driver. If your server is heavily loaded
(especially if it is a large news server), look for the updated 2.1.7 (or
simply use CVSup to get the latest from the 2.1.x branch). Other than that
both 2.1.5 and 2.1.7 are *very* stable. The only time my 2.1.5 server went
down after I configured it was to upgrade it to 2.1.7 :-)

> I am new to FreeBSD, but I have successfull installed thesoftware,
> and have been using the server as a learning tool.  I have also been
> subscribed to the various FreeBSD mailing list for several months as
> an observer.
>
> I have about 10 years of Dos/Windows/Novell experience, and I am not
> intimidated with FreeBSD.  Does anyone have any suggestions about
> good reference materials for administration.

Nemeth's UNIX administration book (I don't have it here, so I can't give
you the exact name and ISBN, but a quick search in your favorite book
cyberstore will get you what you want).

> Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Charles
>

> Charles A. Peters
>
> charlespeters@tecpro.com