Date:      Thu, 8 Jan 2015 21:33:13 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Valeri Galtsev" <galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu>
To:        "Erich Dollansky" <erichsfreebsdlist@alogt.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ?????Pls remove me I have been hacked!!!

On Thu, January 8, 2015 7:21 pm, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 08 Jan 2015 17:34:14 -0600
> Valeri Galtsev <galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu> wrote:
>
>> Is that only me or others noticed too that every first message of new
>> thread on this list if followed by junk like this. This apparently
>> was delivered from domain
>>
> this is an old thing. It comes and goes.
>
>> sina.com.cn
>>
>> Would that be reasonable to reject all mail of that origin on the MX
>> level?
>>
> It is not that easy. The sender addresses change very often.

That is what I assumed from the very beginning. With these things on my
servers I usually do this: I find out which domain sender's MX serves.
Then I send complaint to

abuse@that.domain.com

No one usually gets back to me (at least from that geoip location no one
ever did). Then I send similar complaint appended with note that abise@
never came back to me to postmaster@that.domain.com. After that I set my
MX to reject mail with message that that domain didn't respond abuse
complaint. [Did I miss something decent sysadmin should do in the case?]

But, of course, freebsd.org has quite different audience from a couple of
Departments of some university...

Valeri

>> Sorry about sending spam in name of fighting spam.
>
> Isn't this real life?
>
> Erich

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator