Date:      Tue, 13 Sep 2005 12:59:58 +0100
From:      Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
To:        Beecher Rintoul <akbeech@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Firefox & Java

Beecher Rintoul wrote:

>On Tuesday 13 September 2005 12:56 am, Alex Zbyslaw wrote:
>

>>Beecher Rintoul wrote:
>>

>>>I am attempting to get java working with firefox. I have both jdk 1.4 and
>>>1.5 installed. Per google, I symlinked libjavaplugin_oji.so
>>>to /usr/X11R6/lib/browser_plugins, but firefox doesn't work with either
>>>jdk. No errors, just comes up saying plugin required. What else do I need
>>>to do? I'd like to use 1.5 if possible.
>>>

>>For a start show us:
>>
>>  /bin/ls -l /usr/X11R6/lib/browser_plugins
>>

>stargate# /bin/ls -l /usr/X11R6/lib/browser_plugins
>total 20
>lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel     78 Sep 13 01:45 libjavaplugin_oji.so
>-> /usr/local/linux-sun-jdk1.4.2/jre/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so
>

>>and then
>>
>>  /bin/ls -lL /usr/X11R6/lib/browser_plugins
>>

>stargate# /bin/ls -lL /usr/X11R6/lib/browser_plugins
>total 2726
>-rwxrwxr-x  1 root  wheel   281996 Mar  4  2005 libjavaplugin_oji.so

OK, you got the link right, so it's not that.

Two more suggestions:

what does "about:plugins" show?  Type it into the firefox address bar.
It should show you all the plugins being recognised, and mine includes
Java, Acrobat. Flash etc.
If it isn't showing java then *maybe* it's that firefox doesn't like the
linux version of the java plugin.  I'm using the native FreeBSD version
(ports/java/jdk14), so maybe installing that would help.

I'm supposing that for the linux version to work you would have to have
linux compatibility enabled, either in your kernel or as a loadable
module.  (As root) what does
    kldload linux
show?  Mine is loaded and I get:

# kldload linux
kldload: can't load linux: File exists

If you get no error, then try restarting firefox and seeing if java now
works.  If it does then you need to make sure that linux module gets
loaded at boot time:

# echo linux_load="YES" >> /boot/loader.conf

--Alex