Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 2001 23:54:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      Can Altineller <altine@ee.fit.edu>
To:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   IBM Thinkpad 770

	Hello All;

	I using 4.2-RELEASE with a thinkpad 770. Until now, everything has
gone well, except two things. The first is the pcmcia modem. It is a
Megahertz XJ-4336-CC4336. The pccardd runs, and it recogizes the card, and
assigns sio4 as the serial name. (pccardd also correctly operates another
3com ethernet card) However, when I try to cu -l /dev/cuaa3 or use minicom
with serial as cuaa3  (I've tried every serial device) it does not connect
to the modem. Also, If two cards are plugged in, it fails to allocate irq
on it. I've been runnning freebsd for a long time, and I am completely
puzzled with this.

	A similar ioport out of range error occurs at boottime with ppc0
(the parallel port). I think all those happen because IBM laptops use a
pretty nonstandard io/irq allocation for the devices.

	Also, does anyone know what kind of soundcard does this laptop
use. Is there any way of mapping I/O ports and IRQ lines of such a
computer? (without installing win95).

	Any help/advice/recommendations appreciated.

	Thanks.
	-C.Altineller