Date:      Thu, 04 Sep 2008 11:40:52 -0400
From:      Lisa Besko <besko@msu.edu>
To:        Chih Liang <chih.liang@ipeen.com.tw>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: boot failed after make installkernel from 6.3-RELEASE to 7.0-RELEASE

I've had this very same problem.  I had to go into the kernel config and
change comment out this line:

options        ATA_STATIC_ID

I may have also had to edit /etc/fstab so that it had the proper device
name in it.

Then I could rebuild the kernel and it worked.

For me this had to to with the device names not matching up properly and
after going to the latest version of 7 it would not find the correct
device names for the drive.

LB