Date:      Wed, 06 Feb 2013 20:12:03 +0100
From:      =?UTF-8?B?S3J6eXN6dG9mIErEmWRydWN6eWs=?= <kjedruczyk@fastmail.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: libpqxx - Postgres client interface C++ library.

> Hi!
>
>> ** Port deleted on 2012-11-28: databases/postgresql-libpqxx
>>         Has expired: No more public distfiles
>
>> I am new to FreeBsd and the ports system.  I am also doing database
>> support with Postgres in this environment.
>>
>> libpqxx has been a very useful package and seems stable   I do not understand
>> the "Has Expired:  No more public distfiles" comment as the reason
>> for dropping the port?

I just noticed the same myself, so I'd like to add my $.02

> databases/postgresql-libpqxx
>
> was for libpqxx-2.x.x.

Actually this port was upgraded to pqxx 4.0 sometime in 2012 (rev 299158)...

> It looks like there is a different port:
>
> databases/postgresql-libpqxx3
>
> for libpqxx-3.1. Do you require the 2.x.x instead of the 3.x ?

This is an old one...

>> Is there any further detail on why it was dropped.
>
> It was dropped because nobody told the ports collection where the
> libpqxx-2.x.x source can still be found. There seems to be no master site
> left anywhere ?

Funny thing is that from what I can see it never moved anywhere and is
accessible from exactly same master site mentioned in last revision of
port's Makefile:

MASTER_SITES=   http://pqxx.org/download/software/libpqxx/

>>  How does this work ? Is the pqxx.org
>> obligated to update the port on a periodic basis ?
>
> No, it's not, but the source code should still be available from
> some official master site.
>
> If you know some master site for 2.x.x, tell us about it and the port
> can be resurrected.

Just checked, the libpqxx-4.0.tar.gz available on the site matches
sha256 in distinfo...

Can we resurrect it then?

--
Best regards,