Date:      Mon, 16 May 2005 22:00:56 -0400
From:      wmc2004aug@bellsouth.net
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD or NetBSD on older hardware (MMX)

At 09:36 PM 5/16/2005, you wrote:
>... It is a Pentium 233 MMX w/ 64MB Ram and 12G HD ...
>... Which would perform better on such a system?  FreeBSD or NetBSD?

I have a system with nearly identical specs that runs DNS and some other
minor services on our external network.  While I can't comment on NetBSD, I
would suggest that with FreeBSD in that little memory, you should take the
time to configure and compile a stripped-down kernel.  It saves 5 or 6 MB
of ram on mine (ie:  a good chuck of 64MB!)

   -Wayne