Date:      Sat, 2 Jul 2011 03:04:12 +0000
From:      "b. f." <bf1783@googlemail.com>
To:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Any software tools known for XBRL & PDF V1.6 & 1.7 ?

On 7/2/11, b. f. <bf1783@googlemail.com> wrote:
ved PDF 1.6 & 1.7 files from companieshouse.gov.uk (that I
>> suppose relate to, or contain XBRL), that contain financial data
>> I'm supposed to edit & return.
>> The only tool I know to do that is, a free download of latest binary
>> Acrobat for Linux or MS-Windows, (so emulator needed too).
>>
>> I've found no source in FreeBSD ports that can handle 1.6 & 7 PDFs,
>> Anyone know of source, whether ported to FreeBSD yet or not ?
>
> Which version of ghostscript did you use with some of the tools that
> you mentioned? print/ghostscript9 claims to support PDF <= 1.7,
> although it almost probably doesn't support every option/extension.
> Could you use it to transform the pdf to a format that could be edited
> or at least annotated (postscript, perhaps?) by one of the other
> tools, at least as an intermediate step? Or, have you tried a recent
> version of devel/itext?:

So, just as an experiment, I downloaded a random selection of PDF forms from:

http://search2.hmrc.gov.uk/kb5/hmrc/forms/corporationtaxforms.page
http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk/forms/formsOnline.shtml

including some issued for 2011 (AA01, AD04, AR01, CH01, IN01, CT600,
CT600b, CT600 Budget Insert of 2011, etc.).   The sites advertise that
Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.0 and up can be used, and all of the forms were
PDF 1.3-1.6.  I didn't have any trouble filling in the forms manually
with print/flpsed (an fltk2 GUI for print/ghostscript9), using the
flpsed's import/export pdf functions.  I was also able to annotate PDF
1.7 forms from other sources using the same method.  All of these were
simple text forms.
.
b.