Date:      Sun, 07 Apr 2002 07:29:20 -0600
From:      Lorin Lund <fbsd@wbs-inc.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, "Kim" <kim@linkoping.bonet.se>
Subject:   Re: Networking

4/7/2002 6:51:45 AM, "Kim" <kim@linkoping.bonet.se> wrote:

>Hi there!
>I´m quite new on FreeBSD and have installed FreeBSD 4.5 (X-USER)
>I´ve recently tried out NetBSD and was a bit frightend, but thought trie
>FreeBSD first before returning to Linux.
>
>Now i have some questions.
>
>I was looking for some place to configure my network device.
>
>1. In what file should i conf the network?
      rc.conf       The values you set in rc.conf get picked apart and acted on in the
various rc.xxx scripts in /etc.  Network stuff gets acted on in rc.network*

If you are good at understanding shell scripts you can read /etc/rc.network to see
how these values are acted on.  You might also look at /etc/defaults/rc.conf.

/etc/defaults/rc.conf is run first to set all the defaults.  Then your /etc/rc.conf is
run to set your specific overrides.  Then the various rc.x scripts are run to act on
the values that are set.

Here are some relevant lines from my rc.conf for an example:

# This file now contains just the overrides from /etc/defaults/rc.conf
# please make all changes to this file.

# Enable network daemons for user convenience.
# -- sysinstall generated deltas -- #
gateway_enable="YES"
network_interfaces="ep0 lo0"
ifconfig_ep0="inet 169.254.0.1  netmask 255.255.255.0"

>2. Where do i find the config for resolving hosts(DNS)??
      resolv.conf

This is all of my resolv.conf

nameserver 204.17.177.10
nameserver 204.17.177.20