Date:      Sun, 26 Nov 2000 17:06:47 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        David Daugherty <doc@wcug.wwu.edu>
Cc:        brian william wolter <bwolter@thesadmachine.org>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HELP sendmail/qmail is totally hosed

On Sat, Nov 25, 2000 at 09:17:44PM -0800, David Daugherty wrote:
> Yup
>
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d [davidd]=> ls -al qmai*
> lrwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel     13 Nov 25 14:54 qmail.sh@ -> /var/qmail/rc

Ok, you have a link from /usr/local/etc/rc.d/qmail.sh to /var/qmail/rc.

> ===[root] /usr/home/davidd # cat /var/qmail/boot/home
> #!/bin/sh
>
> # Using splogger to send the log through syslog.
> # Using qmail-local to deliver messages to ~/Mailbox by default.
>
> exec env - PATH="/var/qmail/bin:$PATH" \
> qmail-start ./Mailbox splogger qmail&

Yes, yes. This is what /var/qmail/boot/home looks like.

But...

Tell us more about your /var/qmail/rc file.  This is the script that
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/qmail.sh points to.  From the maillog messages you sent to
another posting, I can safely assume that your /var/qmail/rc is trying to do
Maildir-delivery.  This means that your problem will most likely go away if
you go to each local user's HOME directory and do:

	# cd /home/user
	# /var/qmail/bin/maildirmake ./Maildir
	# chown -R user:user ./Maildir

To allow qmail to deliver mail to a local user's Maildir, things are a little
bit different than when you're using Sendmail-style Mailbox folders.  The
maildir *must* exist before mail gets delivered to it.  It will not be created
by qmail-local [the local delivery agent of qmail] if it does not exist.

Hope this helps,

- giorgos