Date:      Mon, 21 May 2001 01:49:55 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Greg Lehey" <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        "Brian Raynes" <brian_raynes@dnr.state.ak.us>, <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: [dn-core] Re: Perens' "Free Software Leaders Stand Together"

Greg, knock it off, did I ever say that GPL is evil? I made it clear
earlier that I can take the GPL, my problem is with the group that is
surrounding it and what they are doing.

I'm merely restating what GNU has already stated on their website.
They have stated that they want GPL used in preference to any other
license including LGPL, and that they want their stuff to be so
functional and featureful that everybody will use it.  Since their
stuff carries the GPL that means by extraction that they want
everything GPL.

>> Um, well if that is the case then why didn't Bruce include us?
>
>You still don't know?  I think I've told you three times.

You haven't told me or anyone the reason why once during this entire
thread.  More importantly, _Bruce_ hasn't posted the reason why
anywhere on his site.  The only thing I've seen is a link to a
paragraph from him that is essentially saying that he would expect
US to join with THEM.  That's pretty much an assumption that there
IS an US and a THEM, don't you think?

>Do me a favour, will you?  Point us to a photo of you so we can be
>sure you're not Brett Glass in disguise.

That one's pretty funny, actually. :-)

>In other words "there are the Linux crowd, there are the *BSDs, who
>don't even talk to each other".

except that they happen to use a bunch of GPL software and include
a Linuxulator in their product - no, that doesen't hold either.

>  My case stands.

If you so positive that GPL/BSD/whatever else unity is so necessary
to beat Microsoft, then instead of me wasting my breath outlining why
it's not, why don't you explain why it is?

As a matter of fact, so far NO ONE has explained why unity is
so necessary for this campaign - everyone has just seemed to
assume that it is, without question.  Well, that's pretty dumb,
if your fighting a war, why waste resources supporting something
(unity) that has no proven value as either a weapon or a
defence?

>No.  I consider this a feature, not a bug.  A lot of us were turned
>off by the vehement anti-Microsoft attitude in your book.  Don't get

Yes, I know and one of the results of that was the creation of
Chapter 10 and the transferring of all advocacy in the book into that
Chapter, I think you would find the current version pretty neutral
in all other chapters.  Certainly Poul Hennings did, as he was
pretty mad about the bias first time round, but he liked the
revised version that went to press.

>me wrong, I'm certainly not in favour of Microsoft.  Catch me in
>private for confirmation of that.  But it has no place in my book, and
>putting it there would turn off a number of people off FreeBSD.

And turn on others.  There's two sides to any coin.  In any case,
as I explain, it's impossible to fully understand the commitment
of BSD without understanding the anti-Microsoft thread.

Besides that, Microsoft has no problem being vehemently anti-Open
Source and I don't see that anyone using Microsoft software has
stopped using it because of _that_.  I considered the argument
that being anti-anyone would turn off someone, and rejected it
because there's too much evidence that it makes absolutely
no difference.  I went to the trouble of PC'ing the book because
mostly the core people that looked at it wanted that, but I
still think that your all wrong about the bias thing and making
a big stink over nothing.  Certainly, some of the reviewers
were totally the opposite, and LIKED the Advocacy chapter.
So, who really knows either way?

>> By contrast,
>>
>> as more and more DIFFERENT groups adopt DIFFERENT licensing, and even
>> stand independent of each other, all under the banner of Open
>> Source, it's much harder to fight something like that.
>
>Fractionally.  The terms "open source" and "free software" both
>embrace GPL, BSDL and a whole lot of others.

Ahhh - you would think that, wouldn't you.  I do, and I think most
BSD people do.  Certainly, when BSD people talk about Open Source,
that is what they are saying.  But, I'm saying that my observation
is that when the "leaders of the GPL" start talking about Open
Source, they are talking about GPL _only_.

>  I don't think the
>target audience would notice the difference.

Well, that's our problem.  We are the ones that have to
make the justification of why the BSD license and way of doing things
is better than GPL.

But, I also note that it's interesting that Microsoft has chosen in
the latest speech to go after the GPL explicitly.  Who knows if they
will carry forward this campaign or if they are still feeling the
waters for a strategy of attack.  But, I predict that if they DO
commence attacking Linux using this vector, that very soon the
target audience WILL be made aware, by Microsoft, of the difference
between GPL and BSDL and the others.  I also think that after having
studying how Microsoft has used FUD in the past, that the anti-GPL
attack has many positives for it.  The number one is that it's a way
of attacking Linux without really coming out and saying that your
attacking Linux.  It also protects your Apple flank (and your own)
from charges of hypocrisy, and also Microsoft has accepted that Open
Source isn't going away, and would rather coexist with BSD than GPL.

Just keep this in mind - by even publically acknowledging (as Ballmer
did in January) that Linux is a competitor, in fact the number one
competitor, Microsoft has instantly given a veneer of legitimacy
to Open Source among the Windows diehards.  This certaily has cost
them significant sales short term, and they fought against doing this
for at least 3 years.  You cannot overestimate the importance of this
- it shows that they now have proof that Linux has so damaged their
sales that the sales damage caused by legitimizing them was outweighed
by the importance of being able to attack Linux directly.  The war
has started.