Date:      Mon, 26 Jul 2004 23:05:38 +0200
From:      Jorn Argelo <jorn@wcborstel.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        jam man <jam_man@sbcglobal.net>
Subject:   [Half OT]Re: AMD64 support: FreeBSD v.s. Gentoo

On Monday 26 July 2004 20:41, jam man wrote:
> --- Bj=F6rn_Lindstr=F6m <bkhl@elektrubadur.se> wrote:
> >
> > the

> > > what is gentoo?
> > >
> > > is it some new OS or linux distro?
> >
> > It's a Linux distribution, so I assume the question
> > was meant to be:
> >
> > "Does Linux or FreeBSD for the AMD64 architecture at
> > this point?"
>
> It doesn't really matter...yes gentoo is a linux
> distro. and its the only linux distro I would consider
> with the AMD64 architecture. I was looking to see if
> anyone here has used (or has knowledge of) both AMD64
> OSes' support and functionality for x86-64
> applications.

As a matter of fact, I just got Gentoo up and running next to my Windows=20
partition on my AMD64. There isn't much difference between the two. At leas=
t,=20
when building everything from scratch. I got no experience with packages or=
=20
anything. Gentoo is just a tad harder to get up and running then FreeBSD is=
,=20
but shouldn't be too much of a problem if you follow the documentation=20
provided at Gentoo's site.=20

One interesting point for desktop users is that Gentoo automatically compil=
es=20
X.org as a dependency of KDE rather then XFree86. And I must say, my TFT is=
=20
quite sharper then it was with XFree86. Further some minor things are added=
=20
to the standard KDE setup, but they aren't worth mentioning. One thing I am=
=20
missing is that you have an overview of what you can compile into KDE. Gent=
oo=20
just compiles the base KDE with a few extras and further you'll have to=20
continue to compile the other KDE things from the portage (same thing as th=
e=20
ports-tree)

But, on-topic, it's still a matter of preferences and what you're experienc=
ed=20
with. There are no complete new features or anything. It's still just FreeB=
SD=20
or Gentoo, but the OS just talks 64-bit rather then 32-bit. As for the main=
=20
question, Gentoo or Mandrake or whatever distribution is all the same when=
=20
looking at AMD64 support and performance, as long as you're using the same=
=20
kernel.

Cheers,

Jorn