Date:      Wed, 6 Jun 2001 22:21:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Brian Behlendorf <brian@collab.net>
To:        Gordon Tetlow <gordont@bluemtn.net>
Cc:        "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@veldy.net>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: IPFilter licence update

On Wed, 6 Jun 2001, Gordon Tetlow wrote:
> I removed Darren from the CC list as I don't think he really needs to be
> in on this discussion....
>
> On Mon, 4 Jun 2001, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
>
> > While meaning no disrespect to Darren with this followup.  What good does  a
> > signed memorandum with FreeBSD do if I decide at some point (which I won't)
> > to take the FreeBSD source and branch it into my own variant?  This is how
> > the various BSDs came about in the first place.  It does seem rather
> > restrictive of a license for the FreeBSD core system.  Why can't this be
> > released under the BSD license?
>
> <abestos_suit>
> It's not released under a BSD license because he doesn't want to. His
> perogative. We have some much more restrictive licenses (ie GPL) in the
> base OS and no one complains about them.
> </abestos_suit>

Wait, I'm confused.  I thought the resolution was that the ipfilter code
that was a part of FreeBSD was under the standard BSD license like
everything else under /usr/src (aside from /usr/src/gnu), and that
Darren's no-redistribution-of-modifications clause applied to
non-"release" versions of the software, i.e. beta releases, etc, the
implication being that once released, it'd be put under a BSD license and
then integrated into FreeBSD.  Is that not the case?

If not, that's pretty bad - it means that you can't really say anymore
that 'FreeBSD is under the BSD license, aside from some GNU bits', you
have to say 'FreeBSD is under a multitude of licenses, some of them not
open source, please examine all source code files for potential licenses
before redistributing'.  That would suck.

Frankly, Darren's "no modified versions may be redistributed"
"clarification" is much worse than even the GPL.  But I'll avoid
recrossing well-covered ground.

	Brian