Date:      24 Sep 1995 22:11:04 +0800
From:      peter@haywire.dialix.com (Peter Wemm)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pppd server with dynamic ip assignment

ck@toplink.de (Christian Kratzer) writes:

>Hi

>> The person to speak to is probably Rod Grimes as his "signature" appears in
>> the RCS identifiers. If it's a small(-ish) patch, you could probably post it
>> to the -hackers list anyway.

>Actually Peter Wemm who said he was currently incorporating a new pppd already
>contacted me.  The patch is on it's way to him and has also been cc'ed to hackers.

I've been asked to hold back until FreeBSD-2.1 has been released, as
it would make David's job more difficult with bigger diffs to read
through.

BTW: the name in the $Id$ line isn't really a good guide as to who's
the maintainer.  Right before 2.0.5 was released, Rod was the one who
did the (infamous) "Delete trailing whitespace" cleanup, so his name
is the last one that was stored on may files in the release.

Incidently, I'm not sure that this patch is the best way to do
it.. From what I've seen, it looks like it might be just as easy to
create a hack script like this:
% cat /etc/ppp/startup
#! /bin/sh
case "`tty`" in
  /dev/ttyd0)	args=":ppp-005.toplink.de" ;;
  /dev/ttyd1)	args=":ppp-005.toplink.de" ;;
  /dev/ttyd2)	args=":ppp-005.toplink.de" ;;
  /dev/ttyd7)	args=":ppp-010.toplink.de" ;;
  *)		echo "This tty not supported.."; exit 1 ;;
esac
exec pppd $args
And set the login shell of each "user" to be "/etc/ppp/startup".
Their .ppprc will still work the same.

Cheers,
-Peter