Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 1996 12:07:40 -0400
From:      Gary Chrysler <tcg@ime.net>
To:        Beck Peccoz Amedeo <gea@masternet.it>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPX

Beck Peccoz Amedeo wrote:

> Please reply to me personally as I'm not subscribed to this
> mailing list.
>
>  Is anyone experienced with the IPX protocol under FreeBSD?
> I'd like to know if it's possible to have a FreeBSD file server
> seen by DOS clients using the IPX protocol. At present I'm using
> TCP/IP & samba, but the TCP/IP under DOS is really unusable...
>
>  Thank you

Welp, I am as well interested in such abilities, I have some that
just flat won't give up dos for certian projects!

John Hay <jhay@mikom.csir.co.za> is working on IPX/SPX code in
the kernel.

Here is a clip from my query to him. (Thanks John)
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
It is in the FreeBSD-current tree, so you should be able to get
it from any site that keep/mirror -current.

It is only the IPX/SPX networking code in the kernel (sys/netipx) and
a daemon (usr.sbin/IPXrouted) to exchange RIP/SAP info. So at the
moment it is only usefull as a router, or if you want to write/port
programs that use IPX.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

The Linux folx are working on a package called LinWare (lwared-0.95)

A clip from thier readme
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
OVERVIEW
--------

This package contains LinWare server v0.95 beta and IPX router
daemons v0.9. LinWare daemon implements a subset of NetWare Core
Protocol (NCP) allowing users to access files on Linux system using
NetWare client (e.g. from MS DOS).
Aditionally IPX router daemons makes Linux to work as an IPX
internetwork router conforming to the IPX Router Specification
v1.10 (except IPX NetBIOS flood fill).
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I have plans to _attempt_ porting LinWare to FreeBSD as soon
as I can scrape up a bit of time. I wouldn't count on it though
because I have never ported anything to Unix.

Anybody willing to guide me??
I do know C in the Dos/Win world.
It can't be that much different in FreeBSD.. :)

-Enjoy
Gary
Improve America's Knowledge... Share yours
The Borg... Where minds meet
(207) 929-3848