Date:      Tue, 24 Feb 1998 12:29:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Robert Beer <r-beer@onu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Setup for HP Laser Jet 4M Plus

On Mon, 23 Feb 1998, Robert Beer wrote:

> I am playing with the configuration of a Laser Jet 4M Plus with a JetDirect
> card.  I really don't care for the internal text and raw queues plus the
> default trailer page.  Has anyone got some got stuff (/etc/printcap
> entries, input, and output filters) set up with the printer that they would
> like to share?  I am currently tinkering with the netprint stuff to port
> 9100.

What's wrong with the queue interface?  Unless you preprocess everything
with a2ps, if you print text to the raw queue it gets stairstepped.  I use
the queues all the time and they work great (unless someone is using the
printer when it doesn't accept connections, but that's a fault with port
9100 too).

If you really really hate it, you'll have to install and use LPRng to
direct it to print to the higher port.  LPRng builds cleanly on FreeBSD
and is available from ftp://ftp.astart.com/pub/LPRng.

The header can be turned off in the JetDirect configuration -- telnet to
the printer to enter it.