Date:      Mon, 15 Mar 1999 08:33:15 +0100 (CET)
From:      Blaz Zupan <blaz@gold.amis.net>
To:        "FreeBSD's ports list" <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Postfix

> Please wait a few days if you insist on a port, Wietse will release a new
> version with quite a number of new features. In any case, a Postfix port
> will not be very difficult to do.

Actually, I already had a go at it. A first version of the port can be
downloaded from ftp://ftp.si.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/local/postfix.tar

> There is no "make install" target in the main Makefile so you'll have to
> roll your own. Put all the post* commands in /usr/sbin along with the

This is exactly what I did.

> sendmail binary (to replace the real Sendmail), don't forget the mailq &
> newaliases links, put the other binaries in /usr/libexec/postfix and
> install a sample /etc/postfix/main.cf with the proper paths.

I don't believe this is ok. No port should mess with anything with
/usr/sbin or /usr/libexec. The port installs in /usr/local/sbin and
/usr/local/libexec and the configuration is put into
/usr/local/etc/postfix.

I have included a script, which moves aside sendmail and replaced it with
links to Postfix, the script can also be used to again activate sendmail.
But the script is not called by default.

> It would be nice to put the HTML documentation in "share/postfix" and to
> make a nice set of main.cf's defaults with anti-spam and no relaying.

The documentation is not yet being installed and I don't touch the
main.cf (yet).

Comments appreciated.

Blaz Zupan, blaz@medinet.si, http://home.amis.net/blaz
Medinet d.o.o., Linhartova 21, 2000 Maribor, Slovenia