Date:      Fri, 21 Jun 2002 00:04:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Lamont Granquist <lamont@scriptkiddie.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>, "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@geekpunk.net>, Darren Pilgrim <dmp@pantherdragon.org>, Evan Dower <evantd@hotmail.com>, <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Cyrus vs. UW IMAP (was: Re: I Volunteer)

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, Terry Lambert wrote:
> Lamont Granquist wrote:
> > Cyrus imapd is a real pain in the ass to administer local user accounts
> > with though.
>
> You mean that it doesn't integrate well with the UNIX credentials
> system.  THe issue here is that Cyrus needs to be able to hook
> create/delete actions on accounts, and UNIX fails to provide a
> means of doing this.  I look at this as a UNIX deficiency.  You
> can actually get around it by using "pw" and utilizing the script
> hooks it has.

Well, that's trying to place blame on how it should get fixed.  From my
perspective I don't care, it is just more difficult to use.

> The easiest real fix for this would be to write a PAM module to
> cause the UNIX users to authenticate against the Cyrus database.

Creating mailboxes is also a PITA, I like procmail to be able to do this
and not have a 2nd configuration step...

> > The cyradm program is extremely deficient.
>
> Not a big issue, I think.  Writing scripts to encapsulate it and
> be "less deficient" is really very trivial.

Yeah, these days I don't have that much time to script...  If I did have
more scripting time, I'd be fixing more shit at work to help me sleep
through the night when I'm on call...

> > Its great if you
> > want to offer people imap e-mail without offering them shell access.  For
> > local access, though, there's a higher administrative overhead.  I'm back
> > to using the UW imapd even though I know it is a poorer codebase...
>
> I recommend you do not publicize the IP addresses of the servers,
> if they are net accessible outside your organization.  8-).

Nope.  Well protected by firewall in one case, and I'll be updating my ipf
rules when I convert scriptkiddie...  I never use remote IMAP anyways...