Date:      Fri, 14 Feb 1997 10:01:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jake Hamby <hamby@aris.jpl.nasa.gov>
To:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sun Workshop compiler vs. GCC?

On Thu, 13 Feb 1997, John Fieber wrote:

> On the whole, I think we would be better off having people
> believe Sun's hype about Solaris than believing Microsoft's hype
> about NT.  FreeBSD would have a much greater chance of
> successfully infiltrating a solaris environment than it would an
> NT environment.   :)

EXACTLY my belief!  Us UNIX geeks have to stick together.  Also, I firmly
believe that no one OS is good for all tasks.  Personally, my choice for
OS's goes something like (in alphabetical order):

BeOS:  Probably the future OS for multimedia content developers, much as
the Amiga was in the '80s, except without Commodore's mismanagement.

FreeBSD:  The best OS for Internet servers and embedded UNIX boxes (like
an X terminal or that Interjet system).

Linux:  A good UNIX for non-TCP/IP related apps (like UUCP) ;)

MacOS:  The OS for people we are trying to migrate to BeOS ;)

NetBSD/OpenBSD:  A valuable cousin of FreeBSD, and (on SPARC), a good
choice for people who don't want to move to Solaris, but can't stay with
SunOS.

NT:  A file/print server, or good workstation for CAD, business apps, or
Windows software development.  Not a "real" server in my book.

SCO:  Evil incarnate.  Stay away at all costs!

Solaris:  An all-around good UNIX, if you can get past the somewhat
complex sysadmin aspects (they like to trade versatility for complexity).
Will get even better in 2.6.

SunOS:  The UNIX I'm trying to migrate everyone away from, before Sun
drops it completely, or another massive security hole is found.

UnixWare:  Haven't had opportunity to use, but it's by all accounts the
fastest database server on x86 by far.

Win95:  The desktop OS for people who can't afford NT.

Oh well, I've probably missed one or two.  The point is that they all have
their places, but for FreeBSD to be successful, we need to be more aware
than ever of what batlles are worth fighting, who our friends are, and who
is the Real Enemy (and I don't mean SCO ;).

|Jake Hamby| APT Engineer at JPL, CS student at Cal Poly, and BeOS developer!|
"Life is hard..."