Date:      Mon, 10 Dec 2001 13:05:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      Rohit Panda <prohit99@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   creating a minimal kernel(by recompiling it)

hi,
iam recompiling my kernel to create a minimal kernel
which along with initrc and the root FS should fit in
a floppy.IS it possible to create a freebsd kernel
that way.i configured freebsd but the minimum as 1.5M
(i had n/w and sound support and other general
things).I think its loading all the drivers(dont know
whether modular or inbuilt,because if its modular then
it wont affect the kernel) and the same thing for
sound.If iam removing sound then i get 1.3M.but its
still very high and i want sound.whats the way to get
a even smaller kernel(somewhere around 700 - 800 k)
and please mention it how to go about it.i have gone
through lots of documentation but all say about the
config file and i tried with that but not getting
it.Is it that iam missing something.please let me
know.

any help will be highly appreciated.

thanx in advance
rohit