Date:      Thu, 08 Jan 2004 18:42:00 +0000
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Munish Chopra <chopra@soulwax.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Where is FreeBSD going?

On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 18:05, Munish Chopra wrote:
> On 2004-01-08 17:29 +0000, Doug Rabson wrote:
>
> [...]
>

> > The three main showstoppers for moving FreeBSD to subversion would be:
> >
> > 1. A replacement for cvsup. Probably quite doable using svnadmin
> >    dump and load.
> > 2. Support for $FreeBSD$ - user-specified keywords are not supported
> >    and won't be until after svn-1.0 by the looks of things.
> > 3. Converting the repository. This is a tricky one - I tried the
> >    current version of the migration scripts and they barfed and died
> >    pretty quickly. Still, I'm pretty sure that the svn developers
> >    are planning to fix most of those problems. From mailing-list
> >    archives, it appears that they are using our cvs tree as test
> >    material for the migration scripts.
>
> Perfection (or as close as possible) of cvs2svn.py is scheduled for
> 1.0. They've entered beta now, but without scanning the lists I suppose
> that's "sometime 2004".
>
> I've noticed some other projects having problems with repository
> conversion, but at least things seem to be getting better.

There seems to be a reasonably common problem where a single branch
point ends up with more than one branch name. This certainly happens in
the FreeBSD cvs. If you ignore that error, it gets about 1000 commits
into the conversion but then dies with an error in the branch handling
code (probably caused by the first problem). There are outstanding
problems with vendor branches which it looks like they will fix before
1.0.

I've been using the scripts to convert another large repository and they
are not quick - my current test has been going for 2.5 days now and it
still has about six months worth of repository to convert (the cvs
history goes back about seven years in total). I estimate that the
complete conversion will take about 3 days and will contain about 15000
commits...