Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 1995 10:50:53 -0400
From:      Coranth Gryphon <gryphon@healer.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org, peter@taronga.com
Subject:   Re: ports startup scripts

From: peter@taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
Serge A. Babkin <babkin@hq.icb.chel.su> wrote:
> >Or make 'start' and 'stop' scripts really different files without any links.

> Please, no. Link 'em or symlink 'em. Digital Unix screwed up by putting them
> in /sbin, but they did this right:

> 	/sbin/init.d	all scripts
> 	/sbin/rc*.d	symlinks to init.d/...

> That gives you one place for finding all the service start/stop stuff
> and you don't go editing rc3.d/S00frog and forget to update rc2.d/K85frog.

> The init.d directory becomes the one stop shop like /etc/rc[.local], and the
> rc*.d becomes your toggles like the YES/NO stuff in /etc/sysconfig, and it
> becomes easier to productise ports and packages that need to start up daemons.

Why bother with "rc*" directories then? Just have an "inittab" (or "init.conf"
or whatever) file which says what to start up and shut down when and
then you can put them all in one directory. There is no reason to have
symlinks a required part of anything.

It looks like the "S" and "K" scripts are for starting and stopping
things. There are two ways of doing this.

First, you can have the "K" run when leaving a level (to go to a lower level
not a higher one), and the "S" when entering a level (unless coming from
a higher one). Never mind, that's overly complex.

The other way is you run everything in a single directory (S and K)
when going to that directory. This actually makes the most sense to me.

Or trash the directory breakdown and go to a single file table, with
the scripts in "init.d".

-coranth

Coranth Gryphon <gryphon@healer.com>      |  "Faith Manages."      |
                                          |        - Satai Delenn  |
Phone: 603-598-3440   Fax: 603-598-3430   +------------------------+
USMail: 11 Carver St, Nashua, NH  03060
Disclaimer: All these words are yours, except Europa...