Date:      Wed, 14 Oct 2009 19:56:00 +0200
From:      Alexey Shuvaev <shuvaev@physik.uni-wuerzburg.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: buffers not syncing correctly during shutdown

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 03:13:00PM +0200, Ivan Voras wrote:
> Gary Jennejohn wrote:
>
> >I personally don't see why it ever should be handled.  This is UNIX not
> >Windows and users should be smart enough to know that they umount such
> >devices before removing them otherwise nasty things can happen.
>
> Yes, but this is 2009 not 1978.

Well, the other side of being in 2009 is that filesystems have evolved too.
For example, I have UFS2 + SU on most of my removable media (sticks and
external hard drives). I was always interested how
this new "feature" of FreeBSD, to allow removable media disappear almost
silently, plays in this case?

I've had one case when I lost my external hard drive during
tar -xvf ports.tar.bz2 into it. I haven't touched it at the moment
(voltage spikes?). It was quite funny trying to browse through
the half-cached content then... have spent ~5 minutes before noticing
kernel message.
Re-plugging the drive has brought it back, with dirty filesystem, of course.
Maybe it would be better if the system paniced then :/)

Anyway, my point is that removing the media with most of
modern filesystems on it without unmounting is an operator error.
IMHO, the system should warn such an operators in one or the other way...

0.00$,
Alexey.