Date:      Mon, 23 Jul 2001 12:51:47 -0500
From:      Phillip Neiswanger <sigsegv@mindspring.com>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, kuriyama@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Palm Pilot programming and PRC-Tools

Thanks again Mike.  Comments at the end.

Mike Meyer wrote:

> Phillip Neiswanger <sigsegv@mindspring.com> types:
>
>> Mike Meyer wrote:
>>
>>> Phillip Neiswanger <sigsegv@mindspring.com> types:

>>> This is *definitely* the wrong list to ask these questions on. Try:
>>>
>>> Pilot-unix mailing list
>>> Pilot-unix@hcirisc.cs.binghamton.edu
>>
>> Thanks Mike.  I will definitely move my conversation to that list.
>> However, my reason for starting here was that I felt the packages supplied
>> had problems.  I won't make that claim now, but I do think they are
>> incomplete at this time.  To make them complete I think packages for the
>> sdk and for prc-tools-2.0 proper should be provided.
>

> How old is your ports tree? Installing the prc-tools on mine will pick
> up the palmos sdk port and the other two parts of the prc-tools stuff
> as well.
>
> They've radically reorganized the palm developer stuff since the last
> time I did Palm programming, but it looks like it all ought to be
> there after you install prc-tools.

>>> There's a crt0.o in the prc-tools package. ld comes in the
>>> prc-tools-binutils package. I'm surprised that the latter doesn't find
>>> the former. A symlink should fix it - but it shouldn't be needed.
>>
>> I was under the misconception that I only needed the prc-tools package if I
>> wanted to build from source.  I've downloaded it now, but have yet to build
>> a crt0.o.  Lots of little problems to overcome I guess.  I can't even get a
>> build from source to work yet.  Ah well...  I'll get it one of these times.
>

> All you should need is the prc-tools package. The pkg-plist for it
> shows that installing it installs your crt0.o - you don't have to
> build it.
>
> Try doing "pkg_info -L prc-tools-2.0, and check to see if it lists
> crt0.o. If it doesn't, then your ports tree may need updating. If it
> does, it will include the full path to the file, and you can check to
> see if it's there.

Currently, there is not a prc-tools-2.0 package on the 4.3 CDs, or the
FreeBSD ftp site.  This is the case for both 4.3 and current.  The reason
that the package is missing is that the makefile relies on a url pointing
to www.palmos.com...  This url is no longer usable and should be updated to
www.sourceforge.org.

Anyway, I cannot build the binutils and gcc from source, however, I have
managed to get the crt0.o and related files built so I'm now passed that
problem.  I still have some problems, here is hopefully the last:

pgn> make
m68k-palmos-gcc -I. -O2 hello.o -o hello
hello.o(.text+0x4c):hello.c: undefined reference to `FrmGetObjectPrt'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
gmake: *** [hello] Error 1

Can't see what I'm doing wrong yet, but I'll figure it out.
--
phil