Date:      Fri, 14 Apr 1995 14:09:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI target

Rodney W. Grimes writes:

> > I've added a SCSI target device.  Using this you can act as a target
> > and another system acting as an initiator can send data to you over
> > the SCSI bus.
> >
> > However, the only host adapter that supports this is the Adaptec
> > 1542B.  The 1542C will hang the bus big time if you put it into
> > target mode, so I've locked it out.
>
> Great!  But one of my 1542B's bit the dust about a month ago so now
> I only have one of them :-( :-(.

I only have one also.

(...)
> If you loose that card and still need one to work with I can arrange
> to put an NCR 53C810 controller in your house on a permanent loan
> basis.

I'm not planning on adding the support to the firmware - initially,
I could probably use the 1542B more than the 810 for test.  If anyone
has a 1542B sitting in a closet (as I did until recently) feel free to
send it.

(...)

> Well, with 100MB/S ethernet support now being a reality TCP/IP over
> SCSI only has an advantage for *wide* scsi controllers.

Yes, but it would still be cool.

--
Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936