Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2001 15:27:32 +0200
From:      "Miklos Niedermayer" <miklos@niedermayer.com>
To:        Marcos Aguinaldo Forquesato <guina@ccuec.unicamp.br>
Cc:        Miklos Niedermayer <miklos@niedermayer.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ISP4400

Hi Marcos,

On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 08:32:58AM -0200, Marcos Aguinaldo Forquesato wrote:

>         I unplugged my Adaptec 3200S and put just one 36GB U160 SCSI disk
> ( without tuning ) to easy analyze.
> 	The system freeze when I'm sending 30000 local mails.

I guess this is your configuration:
http://www.unicamp.br/cemeq/informatica/manutencao/PC/CemeqSQX3B100.htm

We have almost exactly the same setup as you (except that we have Seagate
disks, not IBMs, and we also have a gigabit NIC).

> maxusers	512

MAXUSERS   256 for us.

> options 	IPFIREWALL		#firewall - 07/08/2001
> options 	IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE	#firewall - 07/08/2001

We use Ipfilter and ALTQ.  But everything seems to be the same.  What
happens if you run the system with just one CPU?  That would clarify if
it's an SMP problem or something else.

We once had SMP problems (the machine freezed just like yours), but anyway
we're very satisfied with it.

bye
Miklos