Date:      Mon, 29 Jul 2002 18:14:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Nathan Coraor" <nate@cse.psu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.6 Kernel Will Not Compile

Hi,

I've recently installed FreeBSD on an older machine of mine, and the
GENERIC kernel works fine, but when I try to compile a new kernel, it
stops with the following errors:

cc -c -O -pipe  -Wall -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes  -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wcast-qual  -fformat-extensions -ansi  -nostdinc -I- -I. -I/usr/src/sys -I/usr/src/sys/../include -I/usr/src/sys/contrib/ipfilter  -D_KERNEL -include opt_global.h -elf  -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2  /usr/src/sys/kern/sys_generic.c
{standard input}: Assembler messages:
{standard input}:1598: Error: missing or invalid immediate expression `' taken as 0
{standard input}:1598: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `and'
*** Error code 1

I'm not sure where to start looking... I've checked my config for
anything out of the ordinary, and any kind of docs online explaining
this problem but haven't found anything.  Here's my system info in case
it's related to that:

CPU: AMD-K6tm w/ multimedia extensions (200.46-MHz 586-class CPU)
  Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x561  Stepping = 1
  Features=0x8001bf<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,MCE,CX8,MMX>
  AMD Features=0x400<<b10>>

64MB RAM, a couple of IDE disks.  It's a fairly standard PC.

Thanks in advance,
--nate

--------
nathan coraor