Date:      Mon, 12 Jul 2004 21:07:52 +0200
From:      Harald Schmalzbauer <h@schmalzbauer.de>
To:        gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Whay is broken ATARAID that ignored?

--Boundary-02=_OGu8Ao+dSVDmp+k

Am Montag, 12. Juli 2004 19:22 schrieb Gabriel Ambuehl:
> Hello Harald,
>
> Monday, July 12, 2004, 7:09:03 PM, you wrote:
> > But only if you replace the drive or  null-out the first sectors. If the
> > drive comes back after a reboot (the same drive) then you end up having
> > two raid arrays.
> > That's not what I call a working raid support!

Hello Gabriel,

> For all I know that's actually a bug in the controller firmware (there
> are a few weirdnesses in HPT controllers, actually, mine sometimes
> won't boot after detecting a supposedly degraded array which is
> usually not even broken).

It's not a controller bug since with the HighPoint driver that doesn't happ=
en.

> >> It IS supported (in stable, anyhow, can't comment about recent
> >> CURRENT).
> >
> > No, if you create a raid array with the controllers BIOS FreeBSD doesn't
> > care about.
>
> With Highpoint and Promise it definitely does. I just installed STABLE on
> two different machines. Now Silicon Image is another matter but I
> wouldn't bet 1 cent on that crap.

Right, and that's the reason why I think it should be removed from the man=
=20
page or at least include a big warning that this controller doesn't work fo=
r=20
raid1 arrays.
The Promise over all is well supported, I couldn't produce a sezenario wher=
e=20
rebuild failed. The HPT bios-generated array also is detected, that's corre=
ct=20
but I talked about the Silicon Image.

> > Also of you Shutdown the machine, power on the machine, modify files,
> > power down, reconnect the drive and power up again FreeBSD (and the
> > controller)
>
> Controller's bug. How would FreeBSD know about that? Now of course the
> controller should know better but those "software" RAID controllers are
> about as dumb as it gets.

Again, it doesn't matter why it fails to do it's job, if it can't it should=
=20
not be listed as working in the man page.

[...]
> > but that's not a reason to list
> > controllers as working when they are not.
> > Not to mention the completely broken ataraid in -current.
>
> As for CURRENT, I've stopped caring for it (I lack the time). It's
> broken in so many places and won't be fit for production a long time.

I really wonder why nobody cares about.
One can replace almost everything which is not well supported but not the=20
storage.

Best regards,

=2DHarry

P.S. I'm running a raid5 with the 3ware on a 5.2-current snapshot without a=
ny=20
problems. You can see=20
http://www.schmalzbauer.de/articles.php?mode=3Dcomments&id=3D3 for more inf=
o=20