Date:      Mon, 26 Nov 2001 09:50:28 -0500
From:      Daniel Frazier <dfrazier@magpage.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   out of memory error...

hello all,

The standard class for users on our shell server is defined like this in
/etc/login.conf...

standard:\
        :copyright=/etc/COPYRIGHT:\
        :welcome=/etc/motd:\
        :setenv=MAIL=/var/mail/$,BLOCKSIZE=K:\
        :path=~/bin /bin /usr/bin /usr/local/bin:\
        :manpath=/usr/share/man /usr/local/man:\
        :cputime=1h30m:\
        :datasize=24M:\
        :stacksize=2M:\
        :memorylocked=4M:\
        :memoryuse=10M:\
        :filesize=16M:\
        :coredumpsize=8M:\
        :openfiles=24:\
        :maxproc=32:\
        :priority=0:\
        :requirehome:\
        :umask=022:\
        :ignoretime@:\
        :tc=default:

One of the users on this box has recently been complaining about
recieving an error when trying to use cpan.  This is what he provided
us to show the error...

alaska:/home1/users/sgodin> perl -MCPAN -e 'shell'

cpan shell -- CPAN exploration and modules installation (v1.59)
ReadLine support available (try 'install Bundle::CPAN')

cpan> m CPAN
CPAN: Storable loaded ok
Going to read /home1/users/sgodin/.cpan/Metadata
Going to read /home1/users/sgodin/.cpan/sources/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz
Going to read
/home1/users/sgodin/.cpan/sources/modules/02packages.details.txt.gz
Going to read /home1/users/sgodin/.cpan/sources/modules/03modlist.data.gz
Out of memory!
Lockfile removed.
Callback called exit.
alaska:/home1/users/sgodin>

This is definately caused when trying to read that last gzip's archive
into memory, but I can't tell which limit specifically was being reached.
Can anyone tell which limit it was, or suggest a way to determine this?
The only way I've thought of so far would be to raise one limit at a
time and see if that affects the situation, but is there a better way?
IMHO, it seems there should be...

Daniel Frazier  <dfrazier@magpage.com>   Tel:  302-239-5900 Ext. 231
Systems Administrator                    Fax:  302-239-3909
MAGPAGE, We Power the Internet           WWW:  http://www.magpage.com/

         - Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.