Date:      Sat, 13 Nov 1999 18:24:09 +0100 (MET)
From:      hm@hcs.de (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        A.Leidinger@WJPServer.CS.Uni-SB.de (Alexander Leidinger)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: i4b & security (Re: "man" reads /etc/rc.conf?)

From the keyboard of Alexander Leidinger:

> >> But with i4b you have to specify a username-password pair in rc.conf
> >> (spppconfig_isp0) and I didn_t want to show it to every user (rc.conf
> >> is u+rw,g+r,o+r for reasons you mention).
> >
> > What about /etc/start_if.isp0?
>
> Yes, with permissions of u+r,go-rwx it_s more secure than the currently
> recommended way.
>
> Hellmuth? Will this be the new official way of configuring i4b?

I'm not at all satisfied with the way password arguments to spppcontrol
work currently.

But before we get to security issues of spppcontrol, i think the sppp
issues in i4b (lcp-echo, lcp-loops) have to be resolved (besides other
much more basic things such as the hardware drivers).

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis                                    Tel   +49 40 559747-70
HCS Hanseatischer Computerservice GmbH                Fax   +49 40 559747-77