Date:      Sat, 16 Jan 1999 10:11:47 -0800
From:      rdas-bitmine <rdas@bitmine.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   PPTP patches....a clarification

Some people have asked if my patches will allow a PPTP client to talk to
a PPTP server behind natd.  This wasn't the intent of my patch, so let
me clarify it a bit:

I have 'natd' running at home on a FreeBSD box.  I also have several NT
workstations at home that talk to the internet via that FreeBSD box on a
single IP address (which is obviously why I am running natd).   I needed
a single one of these NT workstations to run a PPTP client (via RAS) to
talk to the PPTP server in my office.  My patches allow this to happen
with only the single workstation that is specified on the command line
to natd ('-gre_client_address' option).

Once you have these libraries and the natd executable installed, you can
test it out like this:

* Kill natd
* Run natd like this ('natd -verbose -gre_client_address 10.10.10.1
-interface ep1'), where 10.10.10.1 will be your internal PPTP client's
IP address, and 'ep1' will be your external interface.
* Natd will not run in the background, but will instead show all of the
aliasing information on the terminal where it was launched
* Now fire up your PPTP dialup entry and watch the TCP and GRE packets
get aliased.....

If you see the GRE packets getting aliased correctly, you should be up
and running correctly.  Check out the sources.  Look specifically at
'alias.c'.  The changes I made were very simple.

-Rob Das-