Date:      Tue, 26 Oct 1999 19:32:38 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        Michael Rothenberg <rothenberg@automationonline.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Missing group at install?

On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, Michael Rothenberg wrote:

>I installed 3.2 off of Walnut Creek cds on sunday. Went resonably well.
>However, when I followed gregs book and went to add a new user with
>'adduser' I got confused (p. 164). When it asks for the login group the
>book puts in 'home'. when I put in 'home' I get: Group does not exist.
>Obviously I should create the group now, but what kind of permisions would
>the group 'home' have? Is this the generic user group that all users are
>member of?

Groups themselves are not assigned permissions. Files are assigned
permissions. Some files may have permissions which allow a member of a
group to write that file even if that group member is not the owner of
the file. (I am ignoring special groups such as wheel.)

Home might be the generic group that all users are a member of. The choice
is entirely yours. On my box, my users are in group "users".

Thank You, 	| http://students.washington.edu/jcwells/
Jason Wells