Date:      Tue, 23 Jun 1998 02:14:03 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Release schedule for 2.2.7

Given that 2.2.6 was released in April, our quarterly release schedule
for that branch will result in a 2.2.7 at the end of July.  That means
that any necessary merge work should really be done sometime in the
next couple of weeks so that we have adequate time to review and test
all such changes.

In an attempt to make this process a little easier, I'll attempt to
enumerate some of the tasks which various working groups will probably
want to check off their lists between now and the end of July:

o Documentation folks:

  Verify that spelling corrections and other general improvements to the
  manual pages are incorporated.  The Handbook, FAQ and tutorials
  always track -current, so no merge work is necessary for any docs
  but those in /usr/src.

o Driver hackers:

  If you've brought in generic improvements or fixed a bug with a driver
  you're responsible for in -current, take a quick minute to see if
  the work is also applicable to -stable.

o MSDOS FS hackers:

  The MSDOS filesystem support in 2.2-stable is pretty broken, giving
  you more leeway than most in merging changes, but you should also be
  careful not to make things worse (obviously).  Those working on
  VFAT/FAT32 support for 2.2's msdosfs should therefore start getting
  their work ready for incorporation pretty soon if it's going to
  happen at all.

o Security folks

  Check your CERT advisories and whatnot against the state of -stable
  today.  Sometimes things are missed.

o Ports team:

  Please make sure that your various foo.mk files are up to date.

o Userland folks:

  If you have something in dire need of upgrading which is also a low
  risk (conservatism with 2.2-stable does not necessarily equal
  total stasis), please get in touch with me and we can discuss it.

o Release folks:

  If you have any improvements under /usr/src/release for packaging
  or sysinstall, now is the time to raise them with me.

Thanks!

- Jordan