Date:      Sun, 8 Nov 2009 15:49:06 +0000
From:      David Southwell <david@vizion2000.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Dima Panov <Fluffy@fluffy.khv.ru>, Jun Kuriyama <kuriyama@freebsd.org>, rse@gnu.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: security/gnupg installing pth-2.0.7 causing problems

> 2009/11/8 David Southwell <david@vizion2000.net>:
> > I dropped this task -- got too tied up elsewhere. Then some ports were
> > updated and security/gnupg was rebuilt and the problem re-emerged. Can
> > someone please amend the gnupg port so it does not install pth when
> > system threads are available!!! pth is NOT compatible with system
> > threads.
>
> Can you compile security/gnupg without devel/pth installed?

Sure if you make it depend upon libpthread-stubs-0.1 rather than pth then
there are no problems.

With devel/pth there are serious problems with python and other apps on intel
quad processor systems compiled using amd64 kernel option.

I am not the only one who has had this problem. Greg Larkin reported the same
issue and stated in regard to libical:

>However, the compilation still fails in icalmemory.c due to conflicting
>definitions for the pthread functions.  I haven't figured that one out,
>and I've cc'd the port maintainer team in case any of them have any ideas.

What puzzles me is why the gnupg maintainer is sooooooooo reluctant to provide
alternative options to using pth when there are both system libraries and
libpthread-stubs-0.1 available as an alternative.  Dependencuy upon
libpthread-stubs-0.1 enables gnupg to function without causing unnecessary
problems. My understand is the pth was written for those systems which do not
have alternative  libraries for handling threads.

David