Date:      Mon, 6 Oct 2008 23:52:59 +0200
From:      Mel <fbsd.questions@rachie.is-a-geek.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Kelly Jones <kelly.terry.jones@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Installing multiple ports quietly and efficiently

On Monday 06 October 2008 21:28:25 Kelly Jones wrote:
> Here's one way to install multiple FreeBSD ports "unattended" on a
> machine:
>
> cd /usr/port/foo/prog1; make install; cd/usr/ports/foo/prog2; make install
>
> and so on (perhaps even in a shell script). Two problems:
>
>  % It's ugly. I'd prefer "cd /usr/ports; make foo/prog1 foo/prog2 ..."
>
>  % "make install" often pops up windows asking me to choose
>  configuration options, and hangs until I do so.

As others said, BATCH turns off config target. But don't
clutter /etc/make.conf with stuff like that, cause you will forget you put it
there. make -DBATCH is short enough to type.
It is however useful to inspect pkg-install files and set variables in
either /etc/make.conf or /etc/(profile|login.conf). For example
POSTFIX_DEFAULT_MTA will replace /etc/mail/mailer.conf when -DBATCH is set.
Over time you'll pick up quite a few of these that save you doing the same
thing all over.

--
Mel

    and never get to the software part.