Date:      Tue, 15 Aug 2000 11:33:59 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Chip <chip@wiegand.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Netscape, may be off topic

On Monday, 14 August 2000 at 18:53:06 -0700, Chip wrote:
> Greg Lehey wrote:
>
>> On Monday, 14 August 2000 at 17:48:27 -0700, Chip wrote:
>>> Am I mistaken or does Netscape for FreeBSD not support multiple
>>> profiles?
>>
>> I'm not sure if I understand the question.  The simple answer is, I
>> suppose, "no".  But I looked for "profile" in the Microsoft version
>> and I couldn't find anything there either.
>
> Turns out the answer is no. In the Microsoft version of Communicator, I
>
> don't know about Navigator, there is a Profile Manager, on the Start
> menu
> with Netscape.
> This allows one person with more than one email address to start
> Netscape
> with a menu of profiles to choose from. For example, I have email
> addresses
> chip@wiegand.org and admin@wiegand.org. In the winblows version I can
> set up a profile for each address independantly, then I get a menu
> where I
> choose which profile I wish to use. It's really quite convenient, and
> too bad
> it's not supported in the BSD version of Netscape.

No, this is a feature, not a bug.  The Microsoft "profile" idea is
just a workaround for lacking functionality in the "operating system".
The answer's simple: you have a user admin, and a user chip.  I'd be
surprised if you find any other mailers with multiple profiles.

>> I assume the idea of profiles is to allow multiple people to use the
>> same Netscape.  Under FreeBSD, we do that by giving each person a
>> separate login and home directory, so the problem doesn't arise.
>
> I guess I'll have to set up differant logins for myself, or find a
> differant
> email program. Any suggestions?

Anything except Netscape.  Look at the mess it made of your message.
I assume you didn't really intend it to look like this.  I have a
number of suggestions at http://www.lemis.com/email/email-format.html.

Greg