Date:      Thu, 2 May 1996 10:44:29 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        Brett_Glass@ccgate.infoworld.com (Brett Glass)
Cc:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it, phk@critter.tfs.com, kallio@cc.jyu.fi, questions@FreeBSD.org, hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ** Someone experience making Boot ROM for Ethernet card?

Brett Glass stands accused of saying:

> > > We are trying to make boot roms to SMC Elite. We have 27512 UV ROMS but
> > > SMC seems not to work with them, the ROM code is not visible at D800 as it
> > > should.
> > >
> > > It seems that 3c509 works. Is there some trick how to get SMC Elite to use
> > > the ROM?
> >
> > The eprom may be too big for the SMC, it may max out at 27128...
>
> Another possibility: you may be forgetting to put the signature at the
> beginning of the ROM. It includes a special sequence (consisting of 5's and
> A's) followed by a byte containing the size of the ROM divided by 512
> bytes. Initialization code is expected to follow immediately thereafter.

Some things :

1) The makefile for netboot ROMs does this already.  Note that they have it
   working with 509's.

2) The code is not even visible when looking at the area of memory where
   it should be.  Unless the machine they're looking on has decided that
   the segment isn't the home of a ROM and thus mapped it out (unlikely),
   the card's not decoding the accesses.

Not being an SMC Elite owner, I can't really comment on what may (not) be
the problem, sorry.