Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 2000 23:37:59 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
To:        Akinori MUSHA <knu@idaemons.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: GL_CLIENT_ALL_ATTRIB_BITS or GL_ALL_CLIENT_ATTRIB_BITS?

Akinori MUSHA wrote:

> This seems to be a discrepancy between Mesa3 and XFree86 4.0's Mesa.
>
> http://bento.FreeBSD.org/errorlogs/4-latest/ruby-opengl-0.31_1.log
>
> Take a look at graphics/ruby-opengl's patch-ab.  This patch wasn't
> needed when Mesa3 was version 3.2 because it defined
> GL_CLIENT_ALL_ATTRIB_BITS, but on version 3.2.1 it was changed to
> GL_ALL_CLIENT_ATTRIB_BITS and I had to add the patch.
>
> Now, XFree86 4.0 is found to lack the latter one...  I don't have
> XFree86 4.0 installed on any of my boxen, so would someone please
> check XFree86 4.0 and tell me if it has GL_CLIENT_ALL_ATTRIB_BITS, or
> something other than that?
>
> If it has GL_CLIENT_ALL_ATTRIB_BITS, I could change the part to
> something like this:
>
> #ifdef GL_CLIENT_ALL_ATTRIB_BITS
>     /* For Mesa 3.2 and XFree86 4.0 */
>     rb_define_const(mOGL, "CLIENT_ALL_ATTRIB_BITS", INT2NUM(GL_CLIENT_ALL_ATTRIB_BITS));
> #endif
> #ifdef GL_ALL_CLIENT_ATTRIB_BITS
>     /* For Mesa 3.2.1 */
>     rb_define_const(mOGL, "CLIENT_ALL_ATTRIB_BITS", INT2NUM(GL_ALL_CLIENT_ATTRIB_BITS));
> #endif

# grep _ATTRIB_BITS /usr/X11R6/include/GL/*
/usr/X11R6/include/GL/gl.h:#define GL_ALL_ATTRIB_BITS
0x000FFFFF
/usr/X11R6/include/GL/gl.h:#define GL_CLIENT_ALL_ATTRIB_BITS
0xFFFFFFFF

That's on X 4. FYI, I was just playing around with xlock and its Mesa
dependency. Unfortunately (as far as I can tell), the XFree developers
decided to leave libGLU out of their built in Mesa stuff, and any useful
Mesa GL app needs it, so you have to install Mesa on top of X 4 anyway.
Very annoying.

	Let me know if you need me to test any patches, although I don't use
ruby. In fact, I'm not even sure what it is. :)

Doug
--
        "The dead cannot be seduced."
		- Kai, "Lexx"