Date:      Wed, 3 Feb 1999 17:09:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      Sean Eric Fagan <sef@kithrup.com>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/9864: make rblcheck use relay.orbs.org instead of  dorkslayers.com

In article <Pine.LNX.4.02.9902030838540.11212-100000.kithrup.freebsd.ports@mercury.webnology.com> you write:
>I agree wholeheartedly. I like the RBL, because it blacklists an entire
>ISP. But singling out dial-up users because spammers might be running mail
>servers off them? That's the height of fucking stupidity. I've got a TON
>of clients who run full fledged mail servers for small offices with static
>IPs from dialup pools.

Not "might be."  *ARE*.

A growing number of ISPs are preventing, at the firewall level, their dial-up
customers from connecting to SMTP (and others, for that matter) ports.  This
is a good thing, since about 90% of the spam I get these days is from a
dial-up customer who bypassed his ISP's mail server (since doing so would have
resulted in their theft being noticed much earlier).

The DUL is the result of people trying to get dialups added to the RBL, most
notably UUNET's.  That wasn't going to happen, since the RBL is used too often
as a BGP feed, and placing a group of dialup addresses on that would result in
not being able to access any portion of the internet.

It is also possible to get a netblock removed from the DUL, although it is
somewhat harder than it is with the RBL (so I'm told).

I have absolutely no sympathy for you, or anyone else affected by this -- all
it means is you have to use your ISP's mail relay, or find someone willing to
relay for you.  You don't like it, tough -- but you were going to lose it
anyway, as more and more ISPs go with firewalls and redirectors.  If you want
to run a server, then you should not be using a dialup pool; if your ISP
doesn't have anything but that, then you'll have to get your ISP to talk to
the DUL folks, if they end up on it.  (And a netblock will only end up on the
DUL after spam is sent from it -- it's not pre-emptive.)