Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 2000 16:06:56 +0100
From:      Geoff Buckingham <geoffb@chuggalug.clues.com>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.demon.nl>
Cc:        Chris Shenton <cshenton@uucom.com>, Charles Richmond <cmr@sitaranetworks.com>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hardware/Software Multia/UDB questions

On Fri, Sep 29, 2000 at 04:40:04PM +0200, Wilko Bulte wrote:

> > How hard would it be to turn a diskless multia into a diskless X-term?
> > I've been avoiding doing anything with mine due to fear of heat-death.
> > If running diskless can be done -- preferably as an Xterm, not a full
> > OS -- I'd be all over it.
>
> Multia has builtin TGA, I'm not too sure if there is a working X server
> for that one.

I was a part of a group of 20 folks who purchased multias 18-24 months
ago most of them experianced heat death, including those that ran diskless:-)

I would suggest following Mikes advice and uprgrading the fan, combine that
with the vertical stand and possibly a DIY heatsink. It may work.

I think of the folks here people had the most luck running Linux, heat
death wise. (probably just dumb luck)

Xfree does have a TGA driver, seen it reported working under linux.

Linux folks also report working machines using S3 PCI VGA cards in the
PCI slot.

PS I wish in no way to advocate the use of Linux.

--
GeoffB