Date:      03 Jul 2002 13:27:29 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        vegacap@i.com.ua
Cc:        gnome@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Recent pango update

On Wed, 2002-07-03 at 13:16, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> >
> > For anyone seeing font problems in GNOME 2, can you please make sure to
> > update to the latest pango revision?  I fixed a problem where libc was
> > being implicitly linked throughout all of GNOME 2.  This had some really
> > good effects for me.  For instance, I am now able to use my keyboard in
> > gcalctool.
>
> Heh, ol'good "libc explicitly linked into a shared library" issue,
> isn't it?
>
> Thanks for fixing it. BTW, the following commands could be used to
> detect such issues before they will drive users crazy:
>
> $ find /usr/X11R6/lib -name *.so | xargs ldd | grep libc.so
> $ find /usr/local/lib -name *.so | xargs ldd | grep libc.so
>
> If there are any "libc.so.X => /usr/lib/libc.so.X" lines in the output
> then you got a problem.

That's what I used.  There's a patch floating around in a PR out there
that adds the ability to see _which_ .so brings libc to the table.
Right now (at least in -stable), the functionality doesn't exist, and
it's trial and error to track down the offending library.

Take a look at bin/37448 (it's assigned to obrien).  I'd like to see
this MFC'd as most of my development happens on -stable.

Joe