Date:      Thu, 4 Apr 2002 13:52:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      Rick Hamell <hamellr@heorot.1nova.com>
To:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anti-Unix Site Runs Unix

> I don't know that years of technical support looks very flattering on a
> r=E9sum=E9, although I ended up in nearly similar circumstances myself, s=
imply
> because decent jobs for software engineers are scarce in France.

=09Probally not, but add in all the projects I've headed up, the
changes I've helped make here, the number of different software and
hardware environments I've been supporting certainly does. It's not like
I'm supporting one product and a bunch of similiar products. Not to
mention company specific and industry specific certifications that I've
added to my resume.

> > Luckily I'm with a company that pays it's help
> > desk people VERY well.
>=20
> That won't help if you are laid off.

=09I won't get laid off. Three totally seperate companies in three
different industries would have to go totally bankrupt for that to happen.
I'm at the top of the bracket when reviews come around consistently, and
apparently my manager told the head of our division that I'm their most
valuable employee, and that they needed to do whatever they could to hold
onto me. (After I had discussed with the same manager transfering to
another department.) Sure I may still somehow get laid off tommorrow, but
I certainly don't lay awake at night about it. The chances are about as
likely as me winning at the lottery.

> > Not knowing what that next phone call is going
> > to be keeps me going and gives me a challenge
> > to look forward too.
>=20
> That might indeed be motivating, IF you have the tools to actually resolv=
> the problems that come in.  But many technical support organizations don'=
> have that; it costs money, and few companies want to spend anything more
> than absolutely necessary on technical support.

=09Perhaps you've noticed that I don't work for what you consider to
be typical? (Or what I call - low end, there are lots of good tech support
companies out there.) The fact is that there are many companies that value
their tech support highly and pay for it willingly. Of course having the
potential to loose millions of dollars an hour or billions of dollars a
day may impact that slightly.

=09Rick