Date:      Thu, 4 Mar 2004 18:40:02 -0500
From:      "Dr. Richard E. Hawkins" <hawk@slytherin.ds.psu.edu>
To:        Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: superfluous java ports?

On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 06:22:08PM -0500, Robert Huff wrote:
> >  to get a file of all packages upon which something else depends, and
> >  then
> >
> >  /var/db/pkg | grep -v -f tlist

> 	I think this is ... incomplete?

Now that's odd.  I'm pretty sure that the whole message came back to me.

First, create tlist, a list of all ports that are required by any
other ports by checking for the +REQUIRED_BY:

ls /var/db/pkg/*/+REQ* | sed -e "s/-.*//" -e "s/^.*\///" > tlist

The sed strips off the leading pathname, and everything from the - on.

The command that you got used this file (-f) with a negative match (-v) to
find all the other ports (upon which nothing depends).

You could do more matching when building tlist if you want (e.g.,
ls /var/db/pkg/*jdk*/*/+REQ*).

hawk

--
Richard E. Hawkins, Asst. Prof. of Economics    /"\   ASCII ribbon campaign
dochawk@psu.edu  111 Hiller (814) 375-4846      \ /   against HTML mail