Date:      Wed, 31 Mar 1999 10:45:44 +0100
From:      nclayton@lehman.com
To:        Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Handbook DocBook cutover complete

Hi,

[ I've cc'd this to the -doc mailing list as well, so it gets in the
  archive. ]

On Tue, Mar 30, 1999 at 09:11:02AM -0500, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> I've been reading the freebsd-doc mailing list, but I haven't seen a
> description of when or how to move over to the DocBook system.
>
> I assume that I can just 'pkg_delete linuxdoc' and then build the
> docproj port, then go to the root of the doc "source" tree and figure
> things out from there.  But I would like confirmation first,
> particularly since my current copy of the doc sources still seems to
> think that it's linuxdoc.  [I haven't cvsup'd it lately, but I would
> expect I'd need to do that before rebuilding under docbook as well.]

That's pretty much it.

Currently, the only documentation in the doc/ tree in DocBook is the
English version of the Handbook (doc/en/handbook/*).  Note that the old
Handbook is still there (I haven't removed it yet, but I will do soon) in
doc/handbook, but the Makefile's have been changed so that (1) nothing tries
to build it, and (2) even if they did, it wouldn't work -- it now prints
a polite message and then exits.

You shouldn't delete "linuxdoc" because the other documentation still needs
it.  You're right in that to install the other programs you can just install
the textproc/docproj port.  However, keep in mind that this port *does not*
check the version numbers of the packages that are installed, it just
ensures that certain binaries exist in expected places.  So you might
need to manually remove some of the packages you've installed and replace
them with new ones.

For example, textproc/dsssl-docbook-modular is currently at v1.33.  But if
you've got v1.07 installed, it won't try and remove it and replace it with
the new one.

If anyone's got a good idea how to get around this I'd like to know about
it.  I'll get in touch with the folks over in -ports as well and see if
there's a solution.  In the meantime use (I think) sysutils/pkgversion.

You need teTeX-beta and jadetex installed in order to build the Postscript
version of the documentation  (and the PDF version, when I fix that).  This
is a big package, and is not installed by the docproj port by default.  You
can ask for it to be installed by setting JADETEX=yes, i.e.,

    # cd /usr/ports/textproc/docproj
    # make JADETEX=yes install

or

    # make JADETEX=no install

as necessary.

Once these have all been installed, and you have an up to date copy of
the doc tree to hand (and checked out in /usr/doc) you should be able
to do

    # cd /usr/doc/en/handbook
    # make

which will make the HTML (split into multiple files) version. You can
also do

    # make FORMATS=foo

where "foo" is one of "html", "txt", "ps", "rtf", and shortly, "pdf".

Note that the Handbook is *not* self contained within the handbook/
directory.  Specifically, it expects ../../share/* to exist as well
(i.e., /usr/doc/share/*).  This contains various support files that will
eventually be shared among all the DocBook documents

> I realize that the "how to build the handbook" document is still on
> the to-do list with no one assigned to it, but a few hints now would
> help a lot of us, and probably increase the odds of someone just doing
> it.

The primer (http://www.freebsd.org/~nik/primer/) explains how the Handbook
is organised in to different files (it's slightly out of date, there are
some extra files used now, but nothing serious).

Due to popular demand I'll be committing the primer and making pointers to
it more public in the near future.  My home box is currently in the midst
of an upgrade to 3.1 (I wanted to repartition some disks, and move entirely
to ELF, so did this by reinstalling rather than just upgrading).  When I've
got everything recompiled and working properly (2 more days I think) then
I'll be going through any other changes requested by people that are
currently in my pending queue.

--+==[ Systems Administrator, Year 2000 Test Lab, Lehman Brothers, Inc. ]==+--
--+==[      1 Broadgate, London, EC2M 7HA     0171-601-0011 x5514       ]==+--
--+==[              Year 2000 Testing: It's about time. . .             ]==+--