Date:      Mon, 01 Nov 2004 22:20:15 +0100
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@jennejohn.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: EHCI considered harmful?

Tai-hwa Liang writes:
> On Sun, 31 Oct 2004, Ian Dowse wrote:
> > Yes, the basic usb2 hub support that was added to FreeBSD in August
> > has recently looped around via OpenBSD to NetBSD and picked up some
> > enhancements along the way (OpenBSD added improved suspend/resume
> > support, and NetBSD have begun adding transaction translation
> > support). There's a patch against FreeBSD -CURRENT at
> >
> > 	http://people.freebsd.org/~iedowse/usb2_sync.diff
> >
> > that attempts to sync up our USB stack to include the latest USB2
> > changes from NetBSD. If you've been having trouble with EHCI it would
> > be worth trying it.
>
>    FWIW, I tried the patch on my Intel 865 box and still got sporadically
> lockup at boot time....

I tried the patch on my Gigabyte AMD64 GA-K8VNXP with:

VIA 83C572 USB controller (UHCI) and VIA VT6202 USB 2.0 controller
(EHCI)

and for the first time in many months I was able to connect
my USB 2.0 hub and ARCHOS Jukebox Recorder (USB 2.0) without getting
system hangs and reboots (no panic or DDB). And I got the full USB 2.0
speed from the ARCHOS!

Good stuff.

---
Gary Jennejohn / garyj[at]jennejohn.org gj[at]freebsd.org garyj[at]denx.de