Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 2000 22:11:15 -0700
From:      "Laurent de Segur" <lds@ispchannel.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Second IDE drive installation on IBM Thinkpad

Hi,

I use an IBM Thinkpad 600X. I just got the 3.4 cds and a second IDE drive
that I put in the second bay. I copied the files to the DOS partition on the
primary IDE drive (because the second drive now occupies the cdrom bay) and
proceeded to the installation. I then, set up the bios to restart on the
second drive by default and restarted.
The bios kicks in and the drive is detected. I boot on the command line and
hit ENTER to continue.
The first time the unit booted I hung in the ISA detection process. Every
time I hung I have to remove both power adapter and battery to reset the
machine.
The next time I restarted the system, I got to the point where I read the
following messages:
wt0 not found
wcd0 not found
changing root device to wd0s1a
error 22 panic can't mount root.
Restart in 15 seconds (I need to take out battery and power adapter here
too!)

The problem seems to be the change to wd0s1a because if I drop in the
command line prior to booting, the loaddev and currdev are disk1s1a.

Does anyone have any idea how I can change the boot params to point to the
right partition for root? Is there a program like pdisk or fdisk under DOS
that I can use to see the disk partitions?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Laurent