Date:      Thu, 1 Feb 1996 05:38:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        fyeung@fyeung5.netific.com (francis yeung)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: loss of print data during ftp

> 	I am using Freebsd 2.05. My configuration includes 28.8 modem
> 	to my Internet Service Provider running iijppp.
>
> 	Every time when LPD is busy printing and a ftp session is busy
> 	downloading  a big file, my printer stops and my printout is all
> 	messed up. The same thing happens when I do WWW browsing while
> 	the printer is printing.

Are you running a polled lpt driver?

I just saw a similar problem with 2.05-stable on an Asus 486
motherboard (from Rod, I don't remember the exact model).  After
adding a 1200 baud (!) line to a temperature controller I started
losing output to the line printer.  By disabling the motherboard
parallel port and adding an external one that properly supported
interrupts, and enabling interrupts, the problem went away.

This is the same system running 4 lines continuously at 115200
on a Boca board with no problem.  It was adding the 1200 baud
connected to serial port 2 of the motherboard that broke things.
It is completely repeatable.

--
Peter Dufault               Real-Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936