Date:      Thu, 18 Apr 2002 16:34:10 -0400
From:      Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
Cc:        Yanek Korff <yanek@cigital.com>, "'freebsd-stable@freeBSD.org'" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Belkin 8-port KVM = keyboard inactive

On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 07:48:58PM -0600, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
> I don't know if this has anything to do with your problem, but some of the
> Belkin Omniview 8 port KVM switches were manufactured with two EEPROMs
> swapped.  See John Polstra's description of the message on -hackers:

No, he had it right; it's the atkbd flags.  It's a pain in the ass.
I'm completely ignorant in this area, but obviously there is a
difference between "no keyboard" and "KVM switched to different port".
The BIOS, for example, complains about the former but not the latter.
I'd guess FreeBSD is requiring more of the keyboard than whatever
the cheap KVM "trick" keyboard is providing.

I wonder if FreeBSD's probe could be made less demanding so that it
doesn't kill the keyboard driver in the KVM case.  That would
hopefully satisfy both the USB keyboard situation and those of us
using these KVM switches.
--
Christopher Masto

CB461C61 8AFC E3A8 7CE5 9023 B35D  C26A D849 1F6E CB46 1C61