Date:      Fri, 2 Oct 2015 16:25:08 -0400
From:      "Chad J. Milios" <milios@ccsys.com>
To:        "William A. Mahaffey III" <wam@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions !!!! <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Geom question

> On Oct 2, 2015, at 3:41 PM, William A. Mahaffey III <wam@hiwaay.net> wrote=
:
>=20
> I am prepping to provision 2 boxen w/ FreeBSD 9.3R, preferably from a thum=
b drive. I would like to add a 'utils' directory w/ some scripts I wrote to a=
utomate the partitioning/slicing of the HDD's (2X on 1 box, 8X on the other)=
, & also accumulate output from the install process in case questions arise.=
 To that end, I am planning on partitioning/slicing a thumb drive, prepping i=
t to be bootable following examples on the gpart man page, & copying verbati=
m stuff from the memstick.img for 9.3R that I downloaded a while back, as we=
ll as adding my utils directory. Reading up on gpart & geom raises 1 questio=
n: can I do all these preps on a disk image file I create w/ dd, or do i do t=
hem in place on the target memstick, then dd the results onto an on-disk ima=
ge for safekeeping ? Put another way, can a disk image created by dd be a 'g=
eom' for gpart ? TIA & have a good one.
>=20
> --=20
>=20
>    William A. Mahaffey III

In a way, yes. `mdconfig -f filename` will make your file accessible as a vi=
rtual device.=